What: The Trailblazer Award is to honor and promote personal growth, leadership development, and community service of rural minority women. It recognizes these women for the impact of their cooperative action in their rural community, and it supports their future work. A trailblazer is a leader, a guide, a role model, and one who sets a good example or leads the way for others to follow. The Trailblazer Award is twofold. First, it rewards $500 to one woman annually who has a track record of significant volunteer community service in a rural NC setting. Second, it provides a $500 workshop budget for women living in rural settings. This Trailblazer Workshop for Rural Minority Women will be planned by the recipient with the guidance of the Professional Business Women (PWBC) and a community group.
DEADLINE: All applications and reference letters must be postmarked by August 31, 2010.
Who should apply: Minority women currently living in rural communities who have:
· Recognized success in using leadership skills in rural community service during the last 3-5 years
· Developed skills for life through character development, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and community service in a rural community
· A record of volunteer community service experience and desire to facilitate a workshop for others.
· Demonstrated skill in planning meetings, workshops, or training sessions
What is required:
1. Completion of an application and two letters of recommendation, not to exceed one page each.
2. Name of a community group that would help with a workshop. The PWBC will offer limited guidance to the recipient to provide training via a workshop designed to improve rural women’s problem-solving skills through instruction and involvement of the participants.
3. Ability to attend the 5th Annual Professional Business Women's Conference (PWBC), September 25, 2010, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Raleigh, NC
· Applications and letters of reference should be submitted by
· Applications and reference letters must be postmarked by August 31, 2010
· Applications may be followed-up with a phone call from Professional Business Women.
· Selection for the award will be based on the PWBC committee’s evaluation of the given criteria.
· The recipient will be recognized at the 2010 PWBC’s Conference, so attendance is required and a photo for use in the printed program must be provided later.
· A final report of the local rural community workshop will be due to the PWBC by July 31, 2011.
Please read carefully the deadline, criteria and official rules of the Trailblazer Award before you complete the application below.